Mohamad Zayid Abdihdy, 24, was shopping at an electronics store, where he was measuring a television he was planning on purchasing.
Suddenly, an explosion erupted in his black tracksuit pocket.
Abdihdy’s short’s ripped down his right leg. A stench of burnt flesh permeated in the air among a cloud of grey smoke.
If it seems like exploding vape pens keeps appearing in daily headlines, you’re not mistaken. On Tuesday, Abdihdy’s vape pen blew-up in his pant pocket.
Explosive vape pens continues to be a frequent problem for consumers.
This all comes on the heels of an incident from nearly three months ago, where an autopsy report found that a St. Petersburg man, 38, was accidentally killed by an exploding vape pen.
The Medical Examiner stated the explosion sent two pieces of the vape pen into Tallmadge D’Elia’s cranium. The report lists the cause of death as “projectile wound of the head.” It notes that 80 percent of his body suffered from “thermal injuries,” or burns.
The vape pen was manufactured by a Philippines based company. Since D’Elia’s death by the exploding pen was ruled an accident, the company faces no wrongdoing for the incident. Nor an incentive to figure out what went wrong to prevent future explosions.
The Food and Drug Administration is still not clear on what causes some vape pens to explode, but it could stem from battery-related issues.
A report by the U.S. Fire Administration says that in a 16-year span, there were nearly 200 reported explosions of vape pens.
The Federal Drug Administration’s website offers several tips on how of you can protect yourself from a vape pen battery explosion.
The government agency urges people who vape to only use pens with safety features, such as a device that protects the pen from overcharging, that has vent holes and a fire button lock.
Should the vape pen come into contact with water, whether it be minimal exposure or extensive, the user of the device should replace the batteries.
The FDA urges vape pen users to leave the product in a plastic case. Owners of a vape pen should avoid having the device near metal objects like keys and loose change, along with keeping it in the person’s pocket.
Those who have used a vape pen for sometime know that the battery life on it is short-lived. It is important for vape pen owners to be disciplined on using only the charger that came with the device when it was purchased. The batteries equipped to the product should be the recommended ones.
Lastly, the FDA urges people to have their vape pens avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight.