News Stories

Sarasota Man Dies After Eating Raw Oysters

A Sarasota man died from the bacteria Vibrio Vulnificu s after eating raw oysters. Vibrio Vulnificus can’t be seen, smelled, or even taste it. This makes it hard to rely on your senses to determine if an oyster is safe to eat.

You can get the bacteria by eating undercooked shellfish. Vibrio Vulnificus causes high fever, diarrhea and stomach pains. Other symptoms of this infection are:

  • Severe weakness
  • Skin rashes and blisters
  • Shaking chills

There are some steps you can take to prevent getting Vibrio Vulnificus. Make sure to never eat raw shellfish and always choose cooked oysters or clams when dining out. If you are cooking shellfish make sure that they’re thoroughly cooked— Keep in mind, raw shellfish isn’t the only way you can get this bacteria.

If you have wounds or sores you can also get infected by swimming in saltwater that has the bacteria Vibrio Vulnificus. Do not go into the water if you have any fresh cuts or scrapes.

The CDC estimates that 80,000 people get sick with bacteria and 100 people die from their infection, in the United States every year.

The Florida Department of Health reports that in 2017 there have been 49 cases of Vibrio Vulnificus and caused 11 deaths in Florida.

Anyone can get infected with Vibrio vulnificus, but people who have liver disease, cancer, diabetes or HIV are more likely to get an infection.

Actions