News Stories

NOAA: 2018 Hurricane Season Predicted to be Near- or Above-Normal

There is a 75 percent chance the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season will be near- or above-normal, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center announced Thursday .

They predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30.

“The devastating hurricane season of 2017 demonstrated the necessity for prompt and accurate hurricane forecasts,” Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross said in a press release.

NOAA’s forecasters predict a 70 percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of those, 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher).

An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.

The National Oceanic andAtmospheric Administration will update the 2018 Atlantic seasonal outlook in early August, just prior to the peak of the season.

RELATED: Are You Ready For Hurricane Season?

Actions