Hurricane season is officially upon us, and it’s time to stock up on food, water, and supplies just in case a storm hits Southwest Florida.
After you’ve prepped your hurricane kit with the required necessities then head on over to social media.
During any threat of catastrophic or inclement weather, it’s wise to stay up-to-date with information from local and state officials. Social media is an excellent place to get alerts on how to stay safe during a storm.
The following list of organizations and government officials are all on Twitter where they push out information continually during a state of emergency.
- National Weather Service: @NWS
- Florida Division of Emergency Management: @FLSERT
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration: @NOAA
- Lee County Sheriff: @LeeSheriff
- Collier County FL: @CollierPIO
- FEMA Region 4: @femaregion4
- FLORIDA DOT: @MyFDOT
You can also add the Wireless Emergency Alerts to your toolkit. WEA warnings are sent to your mobile device without the need to download an app or subscribe to a service.
Additional reporting by Gabriel Castaneda