Governor Rick Scott announces major plan in aftermath of tragic school shooting.
Governor Rick Scott is taking action after the tragic Parkland school shooting. He announced a plan Friday morning with the intention of keeping Florida students safe.
Saying, “When it comes to protecting our schools and kids, we need to be swift and decisive.”
His action plan is for bettering school safety and keeping guns away from those struggling with mental illness. It includes:
- Requiring anyone purchasing fire arms be at least 21 years old.
- A mandatory law enforcement officer in each public school, must be put into place by 2018 school year.
- A $450 million proposal to keep students safe.
- Each school will be required to have a threat assessment team.
- Required active-shooter drills.
- Crisis intervention training for school staff.
- An extra $50 million in funding for mental health initiatives.