You see them in the news all the time. Whether they’re finding their way into people’s pools or attacking someone’s dog.
There’s an estimated one to two million gators living in Florida’s waters, which means there’s one gator for every ten to 15 people.
Here are some tips to keep you safe:
- 1. Leave alligators alone, believe it or not they are shy and usually avoid people
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially near lakes and ponds
- Don’t feed alligators. It’s illegal anyways.
- Swim during daylight hours only. Alligators are most active dusk to dawn.
- Protect your pets. Dogs and cats are similar in size to alligator prey.
If you ever come in contact with a gator, call 866-FWC-GATOR.
Reporting by Allyssa Dickert